1. Dependents are kept on the welfare funds for 90 days. Subsequently they can purchase welfare benefits through COBRA.
2. The beneficiary gets a $7,500 death benefit.
3. Dependent(s) can purchase COBRA from New York City for health insurance within 60 days of the Active member's passing. The forms can be found here >
1. Dependent(s) are kept in the Welfare Funds for 30 days. They can subsequently purchase welfare benefits through COBRA.
2. If the retired member started before Sept. 1, 1984, the beneficiary gets a death benefit up to $500 from SEIU provided the retiree continued to pay dues after his/her retirement date.
3. Dependent(s) can buy COBRA from New York City for health insurance within 60 days of the retired member's passing. The forms can be found here >
Steps to Take Upon the Passing of a Retired Member
To obtain Survivor benefits, you must notify the following offices as soon as possible:
Social Security Administration: 800.772.1213
Local 246 Retirees Benefit Fund (to claim death benefits and COBRA): 212.233.0616
New York City Employee benefit fund (NYCEB)* (Health Insurance)
New York City Employee Retirement System (NYCERS) Death Benefits office 347.643.3000 ext. 3620, Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
*When calling these offices ask about survivor continuation of benefits under COBRA.